Details in the lives of about 500 Chiefs and others
Containing the Lives of More Than Two Hundred Indian Chiefs: Also Such Others of that Race as Have Rendered Their Names Conspicuous in the History of North America from Its First Being Known to Europeans to the Present Period. Giving at Large Their Most Celebrated Speeches, Memorable Sayings, Numerous Anecdotes and a History of Their Wars. Much of which is Taken from Manuscripts Never Before Published (Google eBook)
The Maine Historical and Genealogical Recorder is a wonderful resource for Maine researchers. Volumes I-VIII are online at Google Books.
Click on each Volume link to see a full table of contents. Notes below are for my own research and are by no means complete. If you want to include references to other subjects for your research, write a comment to this posting.
King Family – Captain Jeremiah Moulton’s Scouting Expedition 1723 – The Founders of Maine By James P. Baxter – Merrill Family – Maine as it was in 1660 – Royalists and Puritans in Maine – Scarborough records
Berwick Soldiers 1740 – Cemetery Inscriptions Berwick – Col Alex Rigby – Sanford Marriages – Small Pox – Garrisons 1711 – Maine prior to 1620
Scarborough Records and Historical Sketches – Underhill’s description of Maine 1637 – Indian deed Saco River to Kennebunk River 1664 – Records Portland and North Yarmouth – Embargo Sandford 1808 – Vaughn Memorial – Indian truce 1693 – Seperation movement 1792 – Cape Elizabeth Records – Historical sketches of kittery – Merrill Family – John Bray of Kittery – Petition of York and Wells 1705 –
Falmouth a sketch – John Bray of Kittery – Scarborough Records – Kittery a Sketch – Alfred Records – York County Gleanings – Eastern Claims – Lafayette in Maine – Maxwells of Wells – Cutts Family a sketch
Biddeford Records – Tories in 1775 – Eastern Claims – Scarborough Records – Standish Records
Eastern Claims, Biddeford Records, Scarborough Record – Indians at Cuncheco 1676 – Standish Records
Biddeford Records – Eastern Claims – Scarborough Records – Indians at Wells 1702 – Kittery Records – Weare Family – Barrows Family
Alfred Records – Eastern Claims – Indian Relics in Maine – Indian Troubles – Kittery records – Pepperell Farms – Patriotic Women – Waterborough Soldiers
Researching a deed in York County is pretty easy from 1960-the present. For Kennebunkport, Wells, Ogunquit, Start with the appraisal database Vision Appraisal Database to learn the street address of the house or the owners name, when they bought it and to see a picture of the house. Then go to the York County Registry of Deeds and sign up for a free account. Read the deeds associated with the names you found on the appraisal database until you find the correct deed. It will refer to a previous deed. Deeds are online only back as far as 1960 but you can go to the York County Registry of Deeds in the Alfred Courthouse Alfred, Maine to see the rest, all the way back to the earliest deeds. Google Books has early York Deeds online.
Book I 1642-1666 Book II 1666-1676 Book III 1676-1684 Book IV 1684-1699 Book V 1680-1699 Book VI 1687-1703 Book VII 1703-1713 Book VIII 1685-1716 Book IX 1717-1720 Book X 1719-1722 Book XI 1722-1726 Book XII Part 1 Book XII Part 2 Book XIII Book XIV Book XV Book XVI Book XVII Book XVIII 1736-1737
1688 Oct 11 – Bussey and Barrow – Barrow may actuallyhave been Barrett. (see 1689). A letter dated Oct 16, 1688, written by John Allyn to Gov Andros, refers to an attack at Cape Porpoise that took place on Oct 11.
- 1689 Apr – Attack at Stage Island Fort. John Barrett was killed. An Indian attack on Cape Porpoise is described in a desperate letter from Wells “they came to Cape-Porpus burnt a house begun to be Garrisoned, belonging to Nicho Moorey slew one young man: uiz: John Barrett (whose father and two Brothers, were killed by sum Indians as is supposed, ye last fall)”
1703 – Stephen Harding and his family fled their home in time to save themselves from an Indian attack.
The Durrell family upriver were not so fortunate. Philip Durrell’s wife and 4 children were kidnapped while he was away from home. Mrs. Durrell persuaded the Indians to let her return home with her one infant son. She was kidnapped again in 1726 and she , her daughter and infant granddaughter were all killed.
1713 – William Larrabee’s family was killed at his home near Butler’s Rock.
1723 – The Old Garrison House now stands in Cape Porpoise at the site of the earlier Major’s Garrison. White-haired Mr. Joseph Baily was scalped and killed by Indians there in October of 1723. During the same month, two men from Huff’s Garrison, Fitz Henry, and Bartow, being on Vaughn’s Island for wood, were surprised and wounded by three Indians. The Indians tortured the two men, trying to get them to reveal the number of men at the garrison. The Indians killed them and threw their bodies into a creek on the island which still bears the name Fitz Henry’s Ditch. Also in 1723, Thirty women and children were sheltered at Harding’s Garrison when Chief WaWa of Great Hill and his men unsuccessfully attacked.
1724 Mar – Felt, Wormwood and Lewis were killed by Indians while loading lumber onto a vessel anchored on the Kennebunk River. All three were killed with bullets. Sergeant Smith, of the Cape Porpoise fort, was killed by Indians on March 23, 1724. Bradbury says he was killed at the fort on Stage Island but the new fort had already been built. Others say Smith was killed on Vaughn’s Island.
1725 – Mr. Huff’s daughter was milking his cow near Huff’s garrison when she was attacked by an Indian. She knocked him down with her milk pail and made her escape to the house. The same year, a boy was sent to Trott’s Island to retrieve his father’s cow. When he didn’t return another son was sent and then a third. None of the boys ever returned. The next morning their heads were discovered elevated on poles and seven Indians were tracked from Trott’s Island. A man was also killed by Indians at Goff’s Brook in 1725.
1726 – Oct The Durrell family home was once again attacked by Indians on October 26, 1726. John Wheelwright described the attack in a letter he wrote to Boston the following day:
“Phillip Durrell of Kennebunk, went from his house with one of his sons to work, the sun being about two hours high, leaving at home his wife, a son twelve years old, and a married daughter with a child 20 months old. He returned home a little before sunset, when he found his family all gone, and his house set on fire, his chests split open and all his clothing carried away. He searched the woods and found no signs of any killed.”
In his History of Kennebunkport, Charles Bradbury wrote of the horrible event:
“The Indians encamped the first night near where Sherburn’s meeting house now is. In the morning, finding they were hotly pursued,* and Mrs. Durrell being lame and Mrs. Baxter not being in a situation to keep up with them, they cruelly and brutally killed them both. John, Mrs. Baxter’s child, being rather troublesome, two Indians took it, one hold of each leg and dashed its brains out against a tree. They were killed near Duck brook. John Durrell was carried to Canada, and exchanged in about two years. He had however so far acquired the habits of the savages, that he ever after appeared more like an Indian than a white man. After peace was firmly established, Wah wa [Sagamore of Wells] used unfeelingly to describe to Mr. Baxter, the inhuman manner in which his wife was killed, and boast of his agency in her murder. Mr. Baxter’s friends advised him to roll the savage into a well, as he was
lying intoxicated near its brink, but he refused to do it A bible belonging to Mr. Baxter, was left by the Indians, in the woods where they encamped ; and it was
found the next spring but little injured. The leaves were taken out separately and dried, and the book rebound. “
Grist Mill Lot
Reynolds was given a 200 acres lot by the Court for running a ferry across the Kennebunk River
1675 Apr 12 Rishworth to John Reynolds Certificate to father’s estate
1684 Nov 4 Son John had inherited.
1687 Jan 2 John Rennals sold to Nich Moorey a 60A lot on Long creek aka Mast cove oppisite Gillams point. Moorey’s lot ran 20 poles upstream from the creek’s mouth and 60 poles downstream.
Book VI Folio 49 John Rennels to Nicholas Moorey Jan 2, 1687
In the town book in 1688/9 Nicholas Morey has a mill on land that ajoins that of Rennals.
1701 Oct 2 Moorey sold his lot to Storer, Hill and Batson 60A at Long Creek or Mast Cove bot of John Reynolds.
Cape Porpoise was deserted more than once. Upon the settlers return the town reassigned lots in 1720 to those who could prove ownership. Book XI Folio 205
This new lot assignment shifts the lot from both sides of Mast Cove to the land between Mast Cove and Bass Cove and adds 40 acres. Note the location of the known mills
1725 Mar 12 Samuel Hill to John Storer my son mill privilidges at Long Creek (and land at Kennebunk River land at Bass Cove T19) lot then shared by just Batson and Storer
1725 Dec 6 Widow and heirs of Batson to Dependence Littlefield Son in-law. Dower rightes in Mill is occupation of said Dependence